Re: [libcroco-list] Some library user feedback...

Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi gmx net> wrote:
>   * The IO and transcoding routines are somewhat dated and in fact a
>     bit broken, I gave an example earlier on the list where it runs
>     into an infinite loop trying to decode a ISO-8859-1 encoded doc
>     as UTF-8; this should never happen. I think there are some glib
>     routines that could replace much of the current code. I also note
>     that IO is apparently the main bottleneck, performance improve-
>     ments there would be very welcome. Perhaps it might make sense if
>     there is a way for the caller to gurantee the input is perfectly
>     valid UTF-8, then some of the normal checks could be skipped.

Just to drop an idea here. Could you use some outer library for net routines, like `libsoup`. I guess in `libsoup` all of the problems of doing network IO are solved, or at least already faced. In general, it will be good to have the ability to define a custom subset of functions for doing the IO. If `libcroco` is used within some code that is also doing network IO one can get use of caching dns lookups, proxy settings, certificate verifications, persistent connections, etc.

Regards,
D.Kirov