Re: [libcroco-list] About CRStyle datastructure

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:50:43AM +0200, Benjamin Dauvergne wrote:
> Dodji Seketeli wrote:
> >Today, CRStyle does not actually define all the standard css2 properties
> >because ... we are not there yet.
> >Working on the layout engine (in sewfox) requires a tight integration
> >with the CRStyle class. So I keep going back and forth between libcroco
> >and sewfox.
> >Furthermore, changing CRStyle all the time will make it hard to reach
> >ABI stability for libcroco in a mid termed future... and CRStyle *is*
> >going to change a lot !
> >Last but not least, CRStyle is useful for xml/css layout, which is the
> >job of sewfox.
> >
> >This is why I'd like to move the CRStyle struct and its management into
> >sewfox.
> >
> >If you don't have anything against this I'll go for it in the coming
> >days.
> Are the current users of libcroco not using CrStyle in their code ?

For our project, we do not require CRStyle, see below.

> If they actually use it need they will now depend on libsewfox?
> I don't know if it is actually a good idea, maybe a separation between
> libcroco-parse and a libcroco-style would do it.

It sounds like a good idea to me, but it is easy for me to say since I do
not use CRStyle :)

> Anyway there will certainly be other renderers than libcroco ( an svg
> renderer for example ) that will need some parsed property and not just
> a pair composed of a property name and of some CrTerm's.

For my svg needs CRStyle is simply incompatible. If the svg css props
would be everything in CRStyle and a few svg specific props, it may have
been useful, but svg does not use a lot of the original css2 props (like
border, margin etc.), so relying on CRStyle would add "bloat".
So from our project, CRStyle moving towards the layout/style lib would be
fine.
Cheers,

Rob.