Re: Animated zoom and scaled tiles implemented

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 01:07, Jiří Techet <techet gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this has been a really calm release cycle. First because I didn't have
> much time to implement new features and second that there have been no
> bugs reported. No bugs reported can have two explanations: either
> there are really no bugs in libchamplain or nobody is using it. I'll
> assume the first option is right :-).
>
> Anyway, I've just pushed a new feature which is animated zoom in and
> out. This means that when you zoom in, you'll see the map scaled to
> the new zoom level. The rescaled image stays in the background until
> the new tiles are downloaded so it eliminates the blank screen moments
> between two zooms. Basically it works similarly to Google maps. Please
> test it and let me know if the animations should be adjusted in some
> way. I'll also add some knob to make the animations optional.
>
> I plan to make the first 0.12 release the next weekend. There won't be
> any other major features in the 0.12 release - just some cleanups and
> documentation updates (this time I should really find some time to
> write a libchamplain overview and tutorial).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jiri

Hi,

It is great that libchamplain 0.12 will materialize. Because of the
silence I thought that there won't be any release this Gnome release
cycle.

As of bugs I have some but they may be connected with vala 0.12 gir
support not being the best and I did not test vala 0.14 (0.13.x). The
only thing that I have found besides this is that I think that the map
tiles are not rechecked if they are changed. If I change or add
something in OSM, I have to delete the cache to force to re-download
the tiles. In the past libchamplain did re-download the tiles this is
what I am sure.

A good thing would also be to update the todos and ideas as I don't
have a clue what to expect from the next versions of libchamplain. One
thing that I am missing in libchamplain now is a continuous map from
west to east, the ability to rotate the map would also be cool.

Regards, Tomaž