Unable to use libchamplain based apps in Ubuntu Maverick

Greetings all!

I realise there's a good chance this is a distro-specific problem, but
since upgrading to Ubuntu Maverick I'm unable to use libchamplain
within any applications. Previously, I used to use the eog plugin for
displaying the location of geotagged photos, and it was perfect for my
needs. Now, I just see a portion of a world-view map for any champlain
views, and am unable to pan, zoom, or interact with the map in any
way. I also see this same behavior using Emerillon. I suspect this is
probably a versioning problem in Ubuntu, caused by the 0.4 version
they are using -- but was hoping someone here might have some
experience or tips for debugging and getting champlain to work within
Ubuntu 10.10.

Kind Regards,
Nyall Dawson