Re: [ANNOUNCE] libchamplain 0.5.2

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:05, Łukasz Jernaś <deejay1 srem org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:49 AM, Jiří Techet <techet gmail com> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>
> Hi!
>

>> it has been a long time since the last 0.5.x release at the end of
>> January. There have been many changes since then in the libchamplain
>> development. One of them is the change of the libchamplain maintainer
>> - the maintainership has been passed to me by Pierre-Luc. Many thanks
>> to him for the great idea to create this library and bring it to life!
>> I'll do my best to continue in his work.
>
> Great to see a new release but…
> 1. Currently libchamplain can't be built via autogen because of a
> missing dummy changelog file (see end of
> http://live.gnome.org/Git/ChangeLog)
>  Running automake-1.11...
>  Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
> Patch for this attached

Ah, typical last minute change error. Thanks for reporting. The only
good thing is that it doesn't affect the tarball so the release is
alright.

> 2. IMHO the LIBRARY_VERSION variable in configure.ac should be 0:5:2
> (0:6:0 rather) or do you plan to keep the ABI stable until the 1.0
> release of libchamplain?

No. Notice that libchamplain libraries have the major and minor
version numbers in their name, such as

libchamplain-0.5.so

and the same applies for the include directory name. The reason is
that the ABI is not frozen yet and changes quite a lot between
releases (the same applies to ABI). With the version number as a part
of the library name it is possible to install several versions of
libchamplain in parallel (each with its own library, pc files and
include directory), which wouldn't be possible otherwise. During every
point release the library version is bumped to 0.0.0, so after the 0.6
release, there will be

libchamplain-0.6.so.0.0.0

in the stable branch and

libchamplain-0.7.so.0.0.0

on trunk. Between the individual releases of 0.6.x and 0.7.x the
version numbers are updated according to the rules here:

http://live.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner/Releasing

(actually, I could copy them into configure.ac). If you look into your
/usr/lib, you'll realize that library version number isn't just copied
to the library name. E.g. the clutter 1.2.4 library looks like:

libclutter-glx-1.0.so.0.200.4

And if you look at configure.ac of clutter, you'll realize that even
the "2" and "4" digits  can change into something else if ABI changes.

Now these wise words above are based on what I've observed how the
versioning works (I spent about three hours yesterday looking at how
to correctly bump version numbers, realizing that everyone does it in
a slightly different way and that the way Pierre-Luc did it is
probably the best for libchamplain now) but I may be wrong somewhere.
Let me know if you think I'm wrong.

> 3. make distcheck fails on my computers, could someone check this:
> gtk-doc: Linking scanner
> libtool: link: gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/libchamplain-scan
> .libs/libchamplain-scan.o -pthread  /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so
> -lclutter-glx-1.0 /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so
> /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so -lm -lGL -lX11 -lXext -lXdamage
> -lXcomposite /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so -lXfixes /usr/lib/libcairo.so
> /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so
> /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so -lrt
> /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib/libsqlite3.so
> ../../champlain/.libs/libchamplain-0.5.so -pthread  -Wl,-rpath
> -Wl,/tmp/foo/lib
> .libs/libchamplain-scan.o: In function `get_object_types':
> /home/deejay1/PRACA/GNOME/libchamplain/docs/reference/libchamplain-scan.c:41:
> undefined reference to `champlain_bounding_box_get_type'
> /home/deejay1/PRACA/GNOME/libchamplain/docs/reference/libchamplain-scan.c:45:
> undefined reference to `champlain_local_map_data_source_get_type'
> /home/deejay1/PRACA/GNOME/libchamplain/docs/reference/libchamplain-scan.c:46:
> undefined reference to `champlain_map_data_source_get_type'
> /home/deejay1/PRACA/GNOME/libchamplain/docs/reference/libchamplain-scan.c:52:
> undefined reference to `champlain_memphis_tile_source_get_type'
> /home/deejay1/PRACA/GNOME/libchamplain/docs/reference/libchamplain-scan.c:53:
> undefined reference to `champlain_network_map_data_source_get_type'

Well, this just means that you haven't installed libmemphis, which is
needed for make distcheck (to be able to generate the documentation).
But it's strange you didn't get some error during ./configure already
- the distcheck flags are defined as

DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS=--enable-gtk-doc --enable-gtk
--enable-python --enable-memphis --enable-introspection

which should give you some error message before. Haven't you modified
the toplevel Makefile.am in this respect?

Thanks,

Jiri