Re: [LIBART] gt1 experience

Hello!

The problem with freetype2 is, that it is mostly rendering oriented. Stock
distribution ignored some important font parameters (postscript name AFAIK).
Current gt1 stuff works well, but I plan to drop it as renderer for
gnome-print/gnome-font, and move all rendering and path generation using
freetype2. For reading font data there will probably be separate set of
code for both Type1 and TrueType (yes, you cannot get enough information from
TrueType too with FT2).
Very simple pfb header parser is in gnome-print/installer/gf-pfb.c. It only reads
some most important fields from pfb header to do pfb/afm matching.
You do not need afm-s for simple layouting, but AFAIK they contain some information
not present in pfb files, like kerning.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski