Re: Should we really translate legal notices?

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Gabor Kelemen <kelemeng gnome hu> wrote:

>> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Luis Villa<luis tieguy org>  wrote:
>>

>>> I will look into this; thank you for bringing it up.
>>>

>> My apologies for taking so long. After some thought, what I and our
>> counsel would recommend from a legal perspective, at least for (L)GPL
>> apps, is giving the following text twice, once in English and the
>> other in the translated language:
>>

> Could you please elaborate on why is it necessary to have this short notice
> in two languages?
> I can not imagine why and how would be this good, I never saw anything like
> that - but this is probably just me being young and inexperienced :). Adding
> redundancy here does not seem to be useful...

The actual legal agreement people are agreeing to is in English,
because that is what the authors have generally agreed to. (Obviously
not ideal but that is the situation.) So putting the English version
in makes it more clear that there is an underlying legal agreement in
English and, in the worst case, allows us to ensure that someone can't
claim that they didn't see the correct agreement.

Luis