Re: www.gnome-foundation.org

On 3/10/07, Dave Neary <bolsh gnome org> wrote:

Hi,

Not before now.

Legal team, what is the best way to set the take-down process off? Go
straight to the lawyers? Send a firm but polite email/letter.

Who will take on the action of getting the process started?

You have to figure out who to contact before you figure out how to
contact them, and in this case, that looks to be a mess.

A direct C&D is probably not going to work, since the owner of the
domain is in Uganda, and their street address is 'cool nigga village
1'. I'm not familiar with the Ugandan postal service, but I'm guessing
that won't get delivered ;) Their email address is to an invalid
domain, too (niggas-unite.com).

We could C&D anal-sex.org.uk, but I'm sure they'll claim they have
nothing to do with it-  they use a different registrar and hide their
contact information, instead of using false information.

Our best bets:
* Their host is 3fn.net, which has an abuse address and whose AUP
claims not to support copyright and trademark infringement.

* Their registrar is estdomains.com, which has a complaint address; we
can send them a note threatening the use of the Uniform Domain Name
Resolution Policy (UDRP) process to reclaim the domain, and demand a
transfer. I'm guessing that won't work, but it can't hurt to try.

* if we actually want to get ownership of the domain, we can initiate
the UDRP process. Success is almost guaranteed, but will take months
and $1500 in fees at a bare minimum. If the board chooses to spend
that money, we should contact WSGR, as they've handled UDRPs in the
past and would hopefully be able to handle the details of that (fairly
complex) process.

ACTIONS:
* board: decide whether or not the cost of the UDRP is worth it.
* board: consider purchasing the most common variants on the name
(gnome, gnome foundation, gnome desktop, etc.) so that we can avoid
doing a UDRP in the future.
* Luis (if someone else wants to volunteer, please do, since I told
Krissa I'd be taking a weekend away from the computer this weekend :/:
send off sufficiently threatening letters to their host and registrar.
* Luis (unless someone else wants to volunteer): email Andy Tai, whose
page here: http://home.pacbell.net/atai/guitool/ is the only link to
gnome-foundation.org in the wild.

HTH-
Luis