[Fwd: copyright/trademark enquiry]

Does licensing@ go to legal-list?  Forwarding this message just in case.

If it's quick (fair use?), can someone from legal-list reply please.

Cheers,
--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

--- Begin Message ---
Dear Sir or Madam:

Recently for part of my MA thesis research in social psychology at the
University of British Columbia, I used two screen shots of two GNOME games
(Atomix and Klotski) as stimuli for a study. I am currently interested in
publishing the work in a scholarly journal (and a version must be
submitted to my school's library soon). I am wondering if you know if
screen shots for these games are copyrighted by the GNOME foundation, who
owns the copyright, and if it would be possible for these screen shots to
be published in a scholarly journal or as part of my MA thesis. I am
considering presenting the two screen shots as "figures" for each of the
papers. Alternatively, I may wish to just make a note that the two games
are "freely available as part of the GNOME desktop platform at
www.gnome.org" and omit publishing the actual screen shots. If at all
possible, please let me know what is needed in order to publish such
images, or at least how you would like me to tell readers that these games
are available for GNOME. So far, my interpretation of the GPLv2 is that it
does not cover copyrights and does not specifically talk about screen
shots.

I hope my request is clear. Please let me know if there is any part you do
not understand or if I should contact someone else for further
information.

Thank You,

Carl F. Falk
Graduate Student - Social Psychology