Re: Mastermind: trademark problem?

FWIW, it is probably a problem, at least in the US; Pressman Toy
Corporation filed ten years ago for a Mastermind trademark for
"computer game programs."  (Serial number 75399819 - potential working
link here: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=57q9rc.2.1
)

Given the vast numbers of online clones, I can't imagine the mark
would stand up if it were challenged (it is currently 'published for
opposition' and could be opposed for a fee + legal time) but that
would require someone actually doing the work and spending the money.
I'm not a trademark expert, so I can't say much about whether or not
that would be worth doing, what the odds of success would be, other
costs, etc., or what the risk is if it isn't done,

Hope that is at least slightly helpful-
Luis

On 6/26/07, Filippo Argiolas <filippo argiolas gmail com> wrote:
Il giorno lun, 25/06/2007 alle 17.34 -0400, Jonathan Blandford ha
scritto:
> > I am not a lawyer, it might be an issue, but I don't belive we've ever
> > refused things because of trademark concerns in the past - I suggest
> > importing, and changing the name if we get a cease & desist.
>
> We have changed names of games in the past (gnothello to iagno) as well
> as removed games (gnome-xbill) for trademark reasons.

Please note that gnome-mastermind is not going to enter gnome-games (or
any other gnome package) at the moment but just gnome svn repository
take advantage of gnome facilities for developers (easier work for
translators for example).
By the way it's not the first time that a discussion about mastermind
trademark comes out. I've leaved this name because I didn't find a
better one and because it was the best choice to gain a bit of
popularity at first. I'm ready to change it if the trademark holder will
ask me to do it (as Dave said) or if it is an issue for you. If you have
good suggestions they are welcome ;)

Thanks for your interest,

Filippo Argiolas

--