[LaTeXila] Ideas for GSOC to improve LaTeXila

Hi Sébastien and other LaTeXila developers,

I am a third year student of Information engineering at Southeast University, Nanjing, China. I am a gnome user for the past 3 years. I feel comfortable with C and C++. I am interested in improving LaTeXila and participating in the Summer of Code. I have already read many gtk+/vala tutorials, built LaTeXila using jhbuild, filed several bugs and tried to fix them.

Here are some rough ideas to improve LaTeXila according gnome idea list[1], LaTeXila bugzilla[2] and my use experience:
1. improve the completion of LaTeX commands
2. improve the display of source code (bold, mix different fonts size like Emacs+AUCTeX)
3. improve the build tools for generating the PDF and the error reporting
4. ease the writing of bibliography items
5. live parsing (automatic update document structure)
6. UI modernization (layout, fit gnome 3)

However, I am a bit confused about the possible proposal. Is it OK to write a proposal to implement "Several improvements to LaTeXila"  Or should I pick a specific one for example LaTeXila code view improvements and focus on this one instead? Which one is big enough for a whole summer work?

Besides since I am new to gtk+/vala, could you show me any suitable bugs to fix to make sure that I have sufficient skills required for this project?

Best regards,
Chunyang Xu