Re: [LaTeXila] Feature requests and proposition to contribute

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:12:21AM +0100, Florent Teichteil wrote:
The RoadMap of the project looks very good. I specially love the
"preview a PGF/TikZ figure" and "preview a selected part of a
document" features. I would personally propose some additional
features that can be found in other latex IDEs and that I find very
useful in practice:
   - automatic soft or hard wrapping of paragraphs (like the
"join/split lines" plugin of gedit)

There is already this idea in the roadmap:
- Automatic formatting of paragraphs for a specified maximum text width.

So yes, it would be a good idea.

   - embedded pdf viewer for better integration of the preview with the IDE

With big screens, it can be useful. But for me it's not a high priority.
When writing LaTeX documents, it shouldn't be needed to always view the
result. Sometimes (or when we are learning LaTeX), when we don't really
know how to do something, we do a lot of trials/errors before obtaining
what we want.

Anyway it's already possible to have LaTeXila and Evince side-by-side.
And with Latexmk it's normally possible to automatically re-compile the
document when a modification occurs (but the file must be saved). But
I've never tested that.

   - integration of collaboration tools like svn, git, cvs, etc.

I prefer using the command line for that. If one day there is a library,
or some code, to easily add such integration, why not. For git, there is
gitg. For the future GNOME IDE (for Javascript), they plan to add git
support, and the gitg code could be reused.

I would especially stress that I would be very happy to contribute
to the project by helping implement missing features. All other IDEs
don't really fit my needs for some reasons, so I'm ready to push the
development of LateXiLa. As a computer scientist, I have more than
10 years experience in C/C++ coding.

Some new features would be great :)

Feel free to open bugs on the bugzilla, so we can discuss features, UI,
and implementation details there.

Sébastien