Re: papers comittee, thank you!

Hi Sri,

On Wednesday, April 6, 2016, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
Hi guys!  Thank you for volunteering to being part of the papers committee.  We have a las gnome meeting every friday currently at 18:00 UTC, but will likely change for earlier, waiting for europe to catch up on time zone.

Do you have the meetings on irc? If so, what channel?

Thanks,
Meg

I think everyone had the same question and that is in regards to scheduling.  So, I think I'mt going to give Adelia who is project managing this to come up with a good schedule.  But I would say that we want to do a call for papers as soon as possible so that we can get content on LAS GNOME conference page to drive registration.

As for what kind of content, I'm going to let you guys decide that within the confines of the conference charter what that is.

The idea of LAS GNOME is to have a conference around applications that promotes a  healthy application eco-system.  The eco-system should include all parts of the Linux eco-system.  I will leave it up to you all to figure out what is relevant.  But for instance, talking about Vulkan is probably in, talking about kdbus or its successor is in, talking about how to save power consumption might be iffy unless it is specific on say gnome-shell.  But tools to help power consumption might be in.

So to wit:

* We should start immediately on deciding what is in, what isn't
* We should move quickly on a call for papers ASAP so that we can fill the conference with something to drive registration.

We have a go/no go decision at the end of June in regards to moving forward with the conference, e.g. we figure out that we are fully funded to move forward.

I will be working on getting sponsorship from various companies.

Its important that we have fun, and that we can play with the concept.. we are playing to a crowd and trying to get them into invest in LAS GNOME.  The benefits to GNOME is:

* showcase and propagate our technologies
* Show leadership in a market channel that has been mostly ignored
* provide a way to attract companies to the adboard and be part of the GNOME eco-system

Basically, we are going to take the bull by the horns and create our own destiny using this conference as a vehicle rather than passively wait for an opportunity to be noticed by the powers that be.

I hope that answers your question.

sri