Re: gtk.defs

On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 21:37 +0100, Gergely Buday wrote:
> I'm to revive a language binding and have a question: where is the
> authorative version of the gtk.defs file?

The original source we used in java-gnome was the .defs data in pygtk.
Since then people have brought in bits and pieces from elsewhere,
occasionally parsing from header files and occasionally hand-writing.

The pygtk community's .defs data was very comprehensive, but it did have
some python-specific foibles (only having one function marked as
constructor, that sort of thing). No big deal.

Originally we were syncing with them, but we've since forked it a bit
and add things from time to time. Nothing overly huge; Had to fix
(caller-owns-return) here and there; we augmented tuned the syntax for
GLists to mark the actual type they are conveying, and for special cases
what additional header files had to be #included, stuff like that.

I really couldn't say at this point how much of it is java-gnome
specific [after a while we started getting aggressive about marking
stuff that was deprecated or unused], but if you want to compare and
contrast you'll find our .defs data is in our source tree under
src/defs/, one file per type. See
http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/4.0/HACKING.html for instructions on
how to get a branch of 'mainline', or just browse
http://research.operationaldynamics.com/bzr/java-gnome/mainline/src/defs/

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management: enabling
successful deployment of mission critical information technology in
enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/