Re: GObject Introspection as part of the GNOME platform

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 15:18 -0300, Johan Dahlin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We think GObject Introspection adds a lot to the GNOME platform and
>> would like to
>> discuss how it can be integrated.
>
> yey!
>
> absolutely agree about finally having G-I integrated in the platform.
>
>> * Source comment (gtk-doc) annotations we expect C authors to
>>   use and maintain in libraries
>
> it would be good to have a gtk-doc release (and people depending on it,
> so that distro will finally start shipping a decent version of gtk-doc)
> that understands those annotations, stripping them when needed or adding
> human readable descriptions (this would also help increase the
> consistency in the API references on library.gnome.org). I know that
> ensonic is working on this.
>
>> == Option 1: Included in glib.tar.gz, included in libgobject-2.0.so ==
>
>> == Option 2: Included in glib.tar.gz, as a separate libgirepository-1.0.so ==
>
> I'd obviously favour either option 1) or 2), with a slight preference
> for 1). being able to refactor parts of the GType system using
> introspection would be a killer feature.

This sounds great to me, though I do hope we can make sure there's an
obvious approach to cross-compiling it before including in glib proper.
 - and that includes good support for building the typelibs when
cross-compiling. I recall early on we had a pretty good story here, but
I'm not sure what the current state is.

Thanks,
Rob

--