Re: java-gnome packaging / structure

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 21:25 -0400, Jeffrey Morgan wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 16:51 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 06:09 -0400, Jeffrey Morgan wrote:
> > > Murray,
> > >
> > > During this development cycle the java-gnome team has added bindings
> > > for cairo and gstreamer.  In the course of development we moved several
> > > of our utility routines to a cvs project called jg-common.  What we
> > > would like to do is move our glib bindings into this base project and
> > > rename it glib-java.
> >
> > Wouldn't that break ABI and API? If so, would the old API be parallel-
> > installable?
>
> That is one item I must admit that I do not understand fully.  Our
> public API for the bindings have not changed.  A Java application would
> not have to change any API calls but they would have to change the
> jar files included in their classpath to include the new glib.jar file
> that would be produced by the new library.

That change of dependencies sounds like an API and ABI break to me,
because
API: It would require a change to the build files to make existing
applications compile with thew new version of the API.
ABI: Existing applications would not execute if only the new version of
the API is available.

That's OK, as long as you do some parallel-install thing that would
cause that not to be necessary, while still allowing developers to
switch to the new API whenever they choose. I don't know how exactly
that should work in Java, but I think it should be quite easy for you to
know whether an existing application build and/or an application
execution would stop working.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com