Re: New Bindings modules

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 00:11 +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> writes:
>
> > We are now in sync with the GNOME schedule:
> > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.7/
> > There is no extra, different, GNOME Bindings schedule.
> >
> > According to that schedule, the new modules decision is on July 19th,
> > but modules should make 2.7.x releases before that to show that they can
> > stick to the schedule, in the hope that they will be approved. That
> > means that you should make the first 2.7.1 releases on May 10th. Sorry
> > for the short notice:
> > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.7/#Hard_API_Freeze
> >
> > So, I would like your lists of modules as soon as possible if you would
> > like to
> > - add a module to the schedule, to wrap something extra.
> > - add a whole new Bindings project to the schedule.
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> And here we go. We[0] think guile-gtk project will is ready to join
> the GNOME Platform Bindings. We can hopefully make the May 10th date,
> but it's a bit terse. We have the following modules wrapped:
>
> guile-glib: GLib and GObject
> guile-gtk: ATK, GDK, GTK+ and Pango
> guile-libgnome: libgnome
> guile-libgnomeui: libgnomeui
> guile-libgnomecanvas: libgnomecanvas
> guile-libglade: libglade

Excellent, I have seen comments from people saying that they want this.
I guess we are talking about this project:
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gtk/

I can't find any recent tarball releases so I'll start invetigating more
when you make the first GNOME 2.7.1 tarballs.

It looks like you have only recently started to wrap GTK+ 2 rather than
GTK+ 1.2, so I'll need convinving that you are not rushing into API
freeze too soon. I'll be hoping to see lots of examples/tests/demos. Can
you give me some more detailed information about your recent
activity/progress/popularity/feedback?

Do you have some way to do parallel-installable versions of the API if
you need to break things in future?

By the way, I encourage everybody to use some bug-tracker - preferably
the GNOME bugzilla. That makes it easier for me, as well as you, to
track progress. But it's your project and you are the boss.

> guile-gtksourceview: gtksourceview
> guile-vte: vte
> guile-libgda: libgda

These are not GNOME Platform APIs. I'm glad that they are distributed
separately.