Re: Plans for 2.8 - GNOME Managed Language Services?

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 14:51, jamie wrote:

> There are plans underway to port Java onto Mono (probably using one of
> the free java VMs as a starting point). That should hopefully keep most
> people happy and be in keeping with GNOME's support for multiple
> languages.

The presence of a C#/.NET dependency is a problem for many - rather than
the absence of Java. See my copious blog discussion ;-)

Also, don't mix the question of "what can you write an app in?" with
"what language syntaxes are used in GNOME itself?"

No matter how cool our runtime, writing GNOME itself in a mix of 20
different languages would be pretty insane from a maintainability
standpoint. Though one statically-typed and one "scripting" language
might be nice. I don't want to go trying to fix a bug and find out the
relevant code is in Fortran or something.

Havoc