RE: GNOME Platform Bindings 2.5.2 tarballs needed

> Murray Cumming Comneon com said:
> > So, will we get new perl binding tarballs?
>
> i usually do releases on thursday nights for hysterical raisins.

So, you'll do one tomorrow? That's OK. Then we can announce 2.5.2.

> this week i'm planning a 1.022 release, to fix a build issue
> that occurs when there's a really old version of gtk2-perl
> already installed on the system (the 'use base' versus direct
> @ISA thing discussed earlier this week).
>
> our current cvs stuff is undergoing a massive test harness
> overhaul, so there are no betas (1.03x) of Gtk2 or Glib yet;
> probably next week.  gtk+-2.4 support is blocking on the
> public release of gtk+-2.4.0.

<Exclamation/>. You mean that you will not begin to wrap any gtk+ 2.3 API
until gtk+ 2.4.0 is out? So, do you expect to always be 6 months behind the
GNOME release cycle? The rules do say that you should _try_ to wrap the
entire GNOME developer platform. A GNOME Platform Binding that didn't wrap
major new API, such as the new FileChooser, would be embarassing.

I'm likely to forgive this if it's unavoidable, but I wish I'd realised
sooner. Platform Bindings really should be in sync and that means depending
on unstable libraries, just like other GNOME hackers have to.

> this week i'm also planning to make Gtk2::GladeXML stable and
> put Gnome2::Canvas on the 0.9x beta track.

Ideally we would have established the list of modules at the first release
date, like we established the list of projects, but it looks like I didn't
spell that out. Please try to avoid adding stuff to the module list after
the start of the schedule. In the extreme case, it would be silly to add
something to the list just before 2.6.0 and try to tell people that it was
"on the schedule".

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net