Re: Ch binding to GTK+

Hi murray,

> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > If you can add a link to C/C++ interpreter binding. Can you please
> use
> > "Ch (C/C++ Interpreter) binding to GTK+" ?
> >
> > > One of the reasons for
> > > delay is that you are the first person to request a link to a
> > > proprietary language binding.
> >
> > Our C/C++ interpreter called Ch is not a proprietary language.
>
> I think he meant proprietary "language binding", not "proprietary
> language" binding.

I see. I would think Ch binding to GTK+ will promote
the use of open language C/C++ and GTK+. After all, to have
a cross platform GUI applications without compilation are appealing to
many
C/C++ users. I believe our C/C++ interpreter is the only one
that can run the original GTK+ sample code in C interpretively
without any modification of the source code. In many aspects, it is
not just a binding. It is a seamless integration and makes GTK+
interpretive.
We intend to make Ch 3.5 for Linux free for both personal and
commercial use. Ch GTK+ will make GTK+ readily applicable for
script computing.

> >  The binary is the original one
> > without any modification downloaded from from sourceForge.
> > We will remove the distribution of GTK lib once it is
> > included in all distirbution of Linux by all vendors.
> > Or it has already been included by default?
> >
> > > It is not enough to
> > > provide sources on request without telling the recipient that
> they
> > > can
> > > ask for sources.
> >
> > We have modified the license and have told the recipients that they
> > can ask for GTK 1.2 source code if they are interested.
>
> Good. This might be enough.
>
> But I have just downloaded a new copy of
> chgtk-3.0.0.linux2.2.5.intel.tar.gz and I still see the "3. No
> Modification of Licensed Software.". Maybe you should show us your
> intended license online or as an attachment.

The license you read is about our proprietary part for Ch integration.

You may check the license online at
http://www.softintegration.com/download/register/license/license4ChGTK.html

If you read more, you will find the section
" The software may contain open source
components identified and governed by licenses in the
 directory CHHOME/toolkit/license where CHHOME is the home directory in
which Ch will be installed. Those open source
 components are governed by their licenses in the above directories."

This license is located at CHHOME/toolkit/license/license_GTK.
CHHOME/toolkit/license/other/README_GTK contains:

"GTK+ header files in ../include/gdk ../include/glib ../include/glib.h
as well as original GTK libraries without any modification located in
CHHOME/extern/lib in Unix or CHHOME/toolkit/bin in Windows
are copyrighted under the GNU LGPL in
license_COPYING --- GNU LESSER GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE"

> > > You
> > > could either provide a tarball containing the modified sources,
> or
> > > the
> > > original tarball accompanied by a patch including your changes.
> >
> > We only modified header files for interpretive execution of Ch
> > at run time. They are already included as open source in our
> > distribution.
>
> I have not looked at them because I can not do that without
> installing
> the binary. It might be OK. After we have seen the license I will
> forward the details to Owen Taylor, who is more of an expert.

You are welcome to have a try and feel free to let me know if there is
any
comments and suggestsion related to our license or use.

> It would probably be a good idea to submit your patches to GTK+ to
> avoid
> the need to fork the project for Ch.

It is a great idea. The same GTK+ header files can be used in our C
interpreter without any modification. Can you please let me know to whom
we should submit the patches?

> Again, I don't mean to make your life difficult. It's obvious that
> you
> want to do the right thing.

Sure.

Wayne Cehng
Ch: A superset of C/C++ interpreter for cross platform scripting
Ch GTK+: http://www.softintegration.com/products/toolkit/gtk