Re: Ch binding to GTK+

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 02:35, Wayne W. Cheng wrote:
> Hi James,
>

> > Murray or me can add the binding to the website.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> If you can add a link to C/C++ interpreter binding. Can you please use
> "Ch (C/C++ Interpreter) binding to GTK+" ?
>
> > One of the reasons for
> > delay is that you are the first person to request a link to a
> > proprietary language binding.
>
> Our C/C++ interpreter called Ch is not a a proprietary language.

I think he meant proprietary "language binding", not "proprietary
language" binding.

>  The binary is the original one
> without any modification downloaded from from sourceForge.
> We will remove the distribution of GTK lib once it is
> included in all distirbution of Linux by all vendors.
> Or it has already been included by default?
>
> > It is not enough to
> > provide sources on request without telling the recipient that they
> > can
> > ask for sources.
>
> We have modified the license and have told the recipients that they
> can ask for GTK 1.2 source code if they are interested.

Good. This might be enough.

But I have just downloaded a new copy of
chgtk-3.0.0.linux2.2.5.intel.tar.gz and I still see the "3. No
Modification of Licensed Software.". Maybe you should show us your
intended license online or as an attachment.

> > You
> > could either provide a tarball containing the modified sources, or
> > the
> > original tarball accompanied by a patch including your changes.
>
> We only modified header files for interpretive execution of Ch
> at run time. They are already included as open source in our
> distribution.

I have not looked at them because I can not do that without installing
the binary. It might be OK. After we have seen the license I will
forward the details to Owen Taylor, who is more of an expert.

It would probably be a good idea to submit your patches to GTK+ to avoid
the need to fork the project for Ch.

Again, I don't mean to make your life difficult. It's obvious that you
want to do the right thing.

--
Murray Cumming
murray usa net