defs spec

It has been a while since posting the last draft of the spec.  I have
integrated the last lot of suggested changes and put the new version up
at:
  http://www.gnome.org/~james/defs-format.html

I also created a language-bindings module in the gnome CVS tree where you
can find the SGML source for the document.

If possible, I would like to see the defs format finalised soon.  There
are still a few things I am not sure about though (marked with XXXX in the
document).  If anyone has any ideas about how to fill those holes, please
post them.  Alternatively, we can just comment them out and call it final.

In glib/gtk 2.0 news, the freeze is near now.  I don't think there is any
functionality that can't be accessed without C varargs now, which is good
news for language binding authors.  I also submitted a number of patches
to add typecodes for boxed types (very useful if your language binding has
generalised handling of boxed types).

Adding support for overriding the class closure of a signal is still on
the list of bugs that need to be fixed for the freeze (this will allow you
to override the class implementation of GtkWidget::key_press_event and
chain up to the parent implementation, giving the same flexibility as C
programs have).

If you want to test out the python bindings for gtk 2.0, there is a
snapshot at:
  http://www.gnome.org/~james/pygtk2-SNAP-20010703.tar.gz

It is not yet using the new defs format, but may be useful for other LB
authors.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au