Re: [gnome-bindings] GUADEC Language Bindings BOF summary

El 15 Apr 2001 18:03:10 +0800, James Henstridge escribió:

> 1) Name of the list.
>   Consider changing the list name to language-bindings gnome org

Last year I tryed to have a bindings list on mail.gnome.org
and I got no reply from the mailing lists gurus.
But it seems a better place gnome.org than ximian.com

> 2) Defs format
>   Use of new defs file format proposed by Havoc
>     -- most people at the bof agreed that using a common format to
>        generate bindings from
>     -- format should contain enough information for all language bindings
>        (some bindings may wish to ignore some of the info).
>     -- some people thought the new format lacked required info
>     -- Discussion on list recommended

Ok. I think we agree on this completely. I would say defininf the defs
format is our top issue right now.

> 3) Gtk+ 2.0
>     -- will need to cooperate to get good bindings ready for the release
>        of gtk+-2.0.
>     -- python bindings for 2.0 are fairly far along
>     -- documentation on how to write bindings for 2.0 might be useful (I
>        have some unfinished docs on this).
>     -- check if 2.0 provides all the hooks required to write various
>        bindings (I have looked over most of the GObject stuff, and it does
>        most things my python bindings need.  Don't know about other
>        languages).
>     -- use this list to discuss problems with writing 2.0 bindings
This should be step number 2 to take
> 4) Documentation

I think that adding a docstring to define-whatever-type-we-want
would be good. Something like:

(docstring "This method sets the entry's text")

The idea is to have a short description of what a function  (procedure,
method, whatever you want to call it) does. Following guile i would
be able to do:

>(help "gtk-entry-set-text")
module (gtk gtk)
(gtk-entry-set-text GtkEntry str)
 This method sets the entry's text

Which is nice. Obviously the module and the prototype can be taken
from the define-function statement,,,

> 5) Shared Tools and files
>     -- some tasks are common to all language binding build processes
>        (eg. creating defs files)
>     -- What do people want to share?
>     -- Would a repository for these scripts be useful?

I think having gnome-defs module should be the way and making
that a requirement for all bindings.

> We also discussed about setting up a web site.  bindings.gnome.org was the
> one Ariel suggested in the program notes.  Maybe a bindings.gtk.org alias
> would be useful as well?  The page would probably include information
> about various language bindings (web pages, mailing lists and download
> locations), and any shared info such as this mailing list and shared
> documentation, etc.

All kind of useful resources for both developers and users =)

ariel