spaces in search items not registered

sometimes when I type in a file name I'm looking for that I want to use in the "locate files" plugin, it refuses to recognize spaces in the filename.

E.g. if I type in "Chris shop" it will bring up "Christmas shopping.txt" as a suggestion from the catalog of folders I've set, but if I want to use the File Locate plugin it takes it as "chrisshop"

Is there a fix for this, or is this the way its supposed to work?