Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 00:53:02 +0200
From: Manuel Kehl <mank319 zoho com>
To: Paul Bissex <paul bissex net>
Cc: kupfer-list gnome org
Subject: Re: advice for running a development copy of Kupfer

Hi Paul,

welcome to the "Kupfer community".

For using two instances of Kupfer, I would recommend to have a regular
installation for all day use and one that you build yourself. The
latter could be started via a custom (distinguishable) .desktop file in
your  ~/.local/share/applications folder that points to the executable.
The easiest way of writing custom .desktop files is by having a look at
.desktop files in /usr/share/applications and adapting the lines of
interest.

To be honest I never applied any changes to the "Kupfer core", so this
is nothing more than a guess of how one could possibly achieve your
task.

Depending on what you are striving to implement it may be sufficient to
write a simple plugin. Kupfer has a very powerful API for that purpose:
http://engla.github.io/kupfer/Documentation/PluginAPI.html

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions and let us know when you
started working on something ;-)

Cheers,
Manuel