Re: Saving data after each action

Hi,

I have submitted changes to periodically save the user data (Source
"config" in Kupfer object terms) periodically (every hour). It only
affects the Triggers and Favorites plugins at the moment.

The reason I'm not taking your patch Karol is explained by this model:
DataController controls the learn module and the SourceController
SourceController controls the PeriodicRescanner

The way your patch is written it adds arrows in reverse; from
PeriodicRescanner to SourceController and across from SourceController
to the learn module. We can't continue this way, then the internals of
Kupfer will be messier in no time! So it's just a matter of "who
controls who" discipline.

2011/2/28 SanskritFritz <sanskritfritz gmail com>:
> This is definitely true, but there are two occasions where Kupfer still
> might lose data: one is my logoff method which is simply killing all tasks,
> the other is a crash, not necessarily in Kupfer, but in X for example. So, I
> really vote for periodic saving.

Give your apps some time to exit in peace :-) SIGTERM and then wait a bit?

>> I've been away from Kupfer for some time and I'm looking at it now --
>> there are lots of bugs and suggestions reported.
>
> Welcome back. Do you intend to continue working on Kupfer? I can only speak
> for myself, but for me Kupfer became the primary shell for doing things on
> my destkop. Thanks for it!
>

>> Saving data periodically is good I think, but I'd prefer to save only data
>> and
>> skip the ugly caching method (Triggers and Favorites use the data
>> method and the clipboard uses only the caching method, since we judged
>> clipboards are not important data. That should probably change).
>
> I am now using Anamnesis for clipboard history [1]. It would be nice to have
> that functionality in Kupfer.

We'll have to patch the clipboard plugin in kupfer to use the config
mechanism for its data. Then it'll be saved periodically too. What
other cool features does that thing have?

Ulrik