Re: Kupfer Tips Wiki dead link

2010/3/16 Pedro Francisco <pedrogfrancisco gmail com>:
> In http://live.gnome.org/Kupfer/Tips#Modifying_Kupfer.27s_appearance there is
> a link to http://wesharewhatweknow.blogspot.com/2010/01/replacing-maximus-
> with-devils-pie.html which doesn't work.
>
> --
> Pedro

It is still in Googles Cache:

http://209.85.229.132/search?hl=es&source=hp&q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwesharewhatweknow.blogspot.com%2F2010%2F01%2Freplacing-maximus-with-devils-pie.html&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

The text, so we can save it in the Wiki page.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 7, 2010

Replacing Maximus with Devil's Pie
I came across a great replacement for Gnome Do called Kupfer, which is
much quicker and light-weight and so perfect for my netbook. However,
it had a window border and appeared in my taskbar, two things I don't
need from a window that will only be around for a few seconds.

I did a quick search and found Devil's Pie (Gina Haeussge has a good
guide to Devil's Pie on her site) and in a few minutes threw this
together:

kupfer.ds:

(if
(is (window_name) "Kupfer")
(begin
 ; Remove from taskbar and pager
 (skip_pager)
 (skip_tasklist)

 ; Pretty it up a bit, center it in the screen and
 ; place it above other windows so it doesn't get lost
 (undecorate)
 (opacity 83)
 (center)
 (above)
)
)

After realizing Devil's Pie was using half the resources of Maximus
(which has almost no configuration options) I created this small file
to replace it on my Ubuntu Netbook Remix install:

Changelog:

r3: Added Empathy exception and undecorate before maximizing
r2: Added Firefox conditional exception
r1: Initial configuration, maximize anything that can be and remove window frame

maximus.ds:

(if
(and
; Windows that can't be maximized shouldn't be undecorated and
; windows that can't be minimized are usually small yes/no
; dialogs, alerts or password prompts.

(contains (window_property "_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS") "_NET_WM_ACTION_RESIZE")
(contains (window_property "_NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS") "_NET_WM_ACTION_MINIMIZE")

(not
(or

; Firefox windows without window_role set are also usually just
; small dialogs

 (and
  (contains (application_name) "Firefox")
  (is (window_role) "")
 )

; Ignore all Empathy windows (for now)

 (contains (application_name) "Empathy")
)
)
)

(begin
; Undecorate first to avoid window flicker
(undecorate)
(maximize)
)
)