Re: Commit gettext .po files without extra comments

2010/6/6 Petr Kovar <pmkovar gnome org>:
> Hi Ulrik!
>
> Ulrik Sverdrup <ulrik sverdrup gmail com>, Fri, 4 Jun 2010 23:18:28 +0200:
>
> (...)
>
>> I have also sent this email to gnome-i18n because I want your feedback
>> on this proposal. Summary: Filename+line comments are still available
>> when updating the .po file, but not shown in diffs or stored in the
>> repository history. All translators have to opt-in.
>
> So if I'm not missing something, this l10n work flow is not to be required
> from translators and is completely optional, right?

Exactly.

I realize that gnome translators absolutely don't want different
settings / practices for different modules, so this whole proposal is
a bit a lost case for me, if it doesn't get many people interested.

> Anyway, I'd like to note that Vertimus running on l10n.gnome.org provides
> us already with quite a comfort diff utility that tries to ignore the
> mentioned noise with comment line changes (because it updates both the
> committed and uploaded translation catalog against the current
> auto-generated POT file).

Yes, this is because translations are reviewed before they enter the
repository. I'm not mainly a translator, but a module maintainer, so
I'd like to see this implemented so that diffs look much better when
the changes have actually entered the repository.

Ulrik