Re: Filtering plugin list

Hi,

2010/7/21 Chris Parsons <cjparsons1 yahoo co uk>:
> I've switched to using Arch Linux (from Ubunutu).
>
> I needed to install Kupfer afresh
>
> I was about to start work on a new plugin to "Install Linux package"
> (getting a list from dpkg -L or yaourt -Sl or some rpm equivalent.
>
> When I installed kupfer on this system and  went through the list of plugins
> I realised the list is quite long now.
>
> By default is it worth filtering the plugin list to show only plugins likely
> to be interesting to the user?
>
> This could be based on testing the plugin list with something like "which
> <binaryname>".
>
> <binaryname> would need to be a new key in the plugin dictionary for *every
> plugin*.
>
> A zero length string would mean "always show".
>
> Then if I don't have openoffice / abiword / opera / truecrypt installed,  I
> won't see the plugin by default.
>
> The number of hidden plugins, and an "unfilter" option should probably be
> available to the user.
>
> Is this worth persuing?
>
> Chris

Sure, it sounds interesting. It could need a toggle to enable/disable
the filter. Also, I'd like plugins to specify this as data, so that we
don't have to execute the code in the plugin to check this; a single
field with names of programs sounds like it could work with such a
solution. Since it in some way touches plugin metadata, it will be a
bit more difficult (since we handle disabled and enabled plugins
differently).  I am thinking that perhaps even more useful would be a
Wizard to greet the user on first launch, and it would also suggest
which plugins would likely be interesting. The wizard would also, of
course, mention some starting hints about Kupfer.

I think it's a nice idea. As you can see, I don't have much time for
Kupfer right now though.

Regards,
Ulrik