Re: python 2.6

Hi,

2010/2/12 Christophe Benz <christophe benz gmail com>:
> Hi devs,
>
> Since python2.6 is required for Kupfer, I installed both python2.5 and
> python2.6 on my distribution (Debian sid).
>
> But waf still configures Kupfer to use python2.5. I could not achieve
> to tell waf to use python2.6.
>
> So I get errors like json.loads (function does not exist, since
> it is specific to 2.6), or
>
> with _exclusion(src):
> => SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>

> Does someone know how to do ?

Only very recent changes require Python 2.6. The latest released
version does not require it.

To configure waf with a specified python, use:

PYTHON=python2.6 ./waf configure

For development I usually use

PYTHON=python2.6 ./waf configure --prefix=~/.local

It's quicker and you don't need to be root to install there. You just
have to add $HOME/.local/bin to your $PATH so that you find the
binary.

The latest commit that works fine with Py 2.5 is
3843c5e4ea39f0ec676017c1a4bf8e87f5290be4    Patches are welcome if
Python 2.5 is desperately needed, but the next version of Debian is
going to have Py 2.6 as default so I don't see the harm in developing
Kupfer with the same goal.

I think the only files needing attention for Py 2.5 compatibility are:

kupfer/conspickle.py       io module
kupfer/core/plugins.py     Replace pkgutil.get_data

HTH
Ulrik