Re: kupfer questions

2009/12/5 Karol Będkowski <karol bedkowski gmail com>:
> Hi,
>
> Dnia Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:59:47 -0600 Hugo Shi napisał/a:
>>  and also, the logout feature of xfce doesn't seem to work, and
>> suspend/hibernate options don't show up in kupfer, is there a way to
>> add them?  do i need to write a script and put it in Applications?
>
> I have prepared patch for this - please check attached patch (or
> http://github.com/KarolBedkowski/kupfer-adds/commit/ac5a094d63e3ce3aaf4d83f1e0756242ac8c8286)

Hi,

The proposed change will work if gnome-session binary is not installed
on an xfce system, however many systems (like big university
installations of Debian etc) install more than one desktop environment
at the time.

Some options:

1. Desktop Environment detection (detect what is running right now,
not what it is installed)
2. Separate plugins (Gnome Session Management, XFCE Session Management, ..)
3. One plugin (Session Management) with configuration option.

I think the best user interface hides in option number 2 -- it is
simple, explicit and clear what is going on. It's also clear how users
of alternative desktop environments may add compatibility -- they
should simply copy another session plugin and adapt it (and hopefully
contribute it to this mailing list).

Ulrik