Call for Translations

Dear Kupfer-list and Kupfer users and contributors!

This is a call for people interested in Localizing Kupfer to a new
language. Right now Kupfer is in english by default, and localized
into Swedish and Italian.

Kupfer has 226 Localizable strings at the moment; most of these are
common short object, source or action names and supplimentary
descripitions; this means that almost all strings are very short.

Kupfer will be part of the upcoming Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic release,
expected to be frozen 27 August 2009. (I think translation changes
might be able to slip in a bit later.) Anyway, if you want to help
localizing Kupfer for your language for the upcoming Ubuntu release,
or for any other distribution or user, now is a good time!

Kupfer uses intltool and the usual "po" system, it might be that you
know it better than me. I maintain the Swedish localization myself, so
I'm very understanding to your bug reports and questions about
localizations. If there are string problems we can patch them in the
repository.

If you want to contribute, read on past the signature for more
information. Contact me for questions or patches. Translations can
also be contributed by forking kupfer on github, where it is hosted at
the moment: http://github.com/engla/kupfer

Regards
Ulrik
Main developer

Attached is the contents of Documentation/localization from the Kupfer
source tarball:

Localization
============

kupfer is translated using gettext and it is managed in the build system
using intltool. Translation messages are located in the po/ directory.

To update an existing translation
---------------------------------

To update with new strings, run:
./waf intlupdate

Then check all fuzzy messages, translate all untranslated messages.
Contrinue running ./waf intlupdate to check that you have 0 fuzzy and 0
untranslated, then you're finished.

Add only the file you changed with
git add po/lang.po
git commit -m "lang: Updated translation"

where 'lang' is the two-letter abbreviation

To create a new translation
---------------------------

Add the language to po/LINGUAS with it's (commonly) two-letter code.
Run ./waf intlupdate and then edit the header in the po/lang.po file,
filling in your name and other slots, and importantly the CHARSET. You
probably want to use UTF-8.

When the header is filled-in, run ./waf intlupdate to see that it runs
without errors, and you should have a po/lang.po file ready for
translating.

To try the new translation

Make sure the translation is listed in po/LINGUAS.

To try it, you have to install kupfer with ./waf install

If you run ./kupfer-activate.sh from the working directory it won't find
the installed translations unless you make a symlink called 'locale' to
the installed location (for example ~/.local/share/locale if install
prefix was ~/.local).