[jokosher-devel] Extending Jokosher with a Musical Notation Editor - Weekly Report 10 03/08/2010

Hi Everyone,

This week has again been fairly eventful and I'm much happier with the
progress I've been making. As always you can find the blog post at [0]
and the launchpad branch at [1].

--------------Weekly Report Text----------

What I’ve done this week:
This week I finally managed to get note drawing to work. There’s still
some issues with getting the fonts perfectly inline with the stave
lines, but I just need to tweak it a bit to get it just right. I’ve
also started plugging the model in and I have it generating valid
MusicXML on the first addition of notes, I still need to add edit
functionality so notes can be moved/deleted. The note drawing now
correctly normalizes the Y position so that I can actually get the
note from the Y position, I still need to add X normalization so I can
make sure the notes look tidy on the stave (and to also make sure I
can add new measures easily).

You can find a screenshot at [2].

You can also listen to a quick sound sample that I created by taking
the Notes from the score and generating the MusicXML at [3]. This is
just a very simple example but it does show progress!.

What I plan to do next week:
I will finish the model so that I can edit the notes and then
regenerate the MusicXML based on these edits. I also need to fix the
font alignment so that it looks neater. Once I’ve done this I’ll move
on to finally connecting the Source Element and Playback bins I need
for Score Elements to produce sound. Then it’s on to finishing the UI
changes needed to finish the basic score editor. I’ll then move on to
the Score Event Viewer and hopefully finish it before the end of
coding.

What I’ve learned this week:
Sometimes the answer to a problem can be much simpler than I presume
it to be and it just takes a bit of time away from trying to do it for
things to come naturally.

[0] - http://wp.me/pjdJf-2K
[1] - https://code.launchpad.net/~redache/jokosher/MusicXMLEditor
[2] - http://redache.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/note.png
[3] - http://omploader.org/vNTRrYg/song.ogg

Thanks for reading,
David Williams
Extending Jokosher with a Musical Notation Editor.