Re: [jokosher-devel] bzr?

To answer my own question:
Yes, there is _more than one_ purdy timeline view:
https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/inkscape/main
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/inkscape/main/changes

These pages are very nice, and will do the job but occasionally the revision view page which shows the diff takes an extraordinary amount of time to load. I'd say average is a few seconds, but occasionally it take up to 15 seconds. I think this is a general problem with launchpad being slow, but our bugs are there right?

So for me there are only two more issues.
1) Where do we put the wiki? (how to convert it?)
2) Does anyone care if their IDE doesn't have a bzr plugin? (If you want a GUI try olive-gtk, or the bzr-gtk plugin).

Laszlo

Laszlo Pandy wrote:
Jono Bacon wrote:
Hi all,

Hi Jono! Nice to see you round here. :)

I am here at the UDS and getting a significant amount of ushering
towards recommending as our VCS. This might actually make sense - the
deep Launchpad integration is pretty cool, and it seems a nice VCS. I
am not hugely involved in the project right now, so its not my
decision to make, but what do we think? Also, moving away from
pythonhosting.com may be a wise idea.

I already use Bazaar, and I can verify that it is extremely awesome. I checkout using bzr-svn, and can commit locally and push back to pythonhosting.com. I was planning on pushing my branch to my launchpad account so others could view it, but I never got around to it.

Personally I think Bazaar is the best client, but SVN is the best server. The SVN server is most mature, etc, and the only thing it doesn't do well is renaming. Bazaar has a lot of cool distributed features, but since we need one 'official' branch that we release from, it has to be centralized, so Bazaar or SVN doesn't really matter.

However I am not totally aware of the advantages of having Bzr as your server, there may be something important that I am not aware of.

As for pythonhosting.com, I think only Jono has has any contact with the people running the site, and Jono is never around. This non-transparency gives me the feeling somewhere else might be better, but it has worked so far and the trac site works well. Other than that our wiki is there, so there would be a lot of stuff to move over if we did. As a sidenote, does launchpad have a trac-style revision timeline?: http://jokosher.python-hosting.com/timeline

This is the most important part of our website to me, and neither sourceforge or googlecode offers it, so I wonder if launchpad does. Ever try tracking down a gstreamer commit? -- its painful without a trac web interface.

And finally, those paying attention might have noticed we just got a patch from Tom who is using Eclipse. I don't think the current Bazaar plugin for Eclipse is stable enough for general use, but I could be wrong. I would like to hear from anyone who doesn't use the command line interface for svn and see what they thing.

Robert Collins, a core bzr contributor has also vowed to personally
help with the migration if needed.

We love your community connections, Jono. Now I remember why we keep you around ;)

Laszlo