[jokosher-devel] 0.10 Roadmap Meeting Results

Thanks to everyone who attended our meeting on Sunday. There was a great lively discussion and we decided a good list of improvements for the next release.

First we decided that we will release about 2 weeks before the Ubuntu freeze. This means it will probably be before the 14th of August, 2008. There may be a chance of a release before then. It was suggested that there be a 0.9.1 release to get the current bug fixes out there for distros other than Ubuntu.

However an extra release would require someone to step up and make it happen. My feeling is that if it does happen it will probably be too late to be called 0.9.1 and instead should be 0.10 beta. Currently my focus is implementing those features which I have already started coding.

For this upcoming release there is absolutely no chance of the dates slipping. All of these features must be completed before the end of July or they will be _deleted_ from the release version. The release is more important that the features, and they will be dropped if necessary.

Here is the list of fixes and features scheduled for 0.10:
* Auto save project recovery. Constant or very frequent auto saving to an alternate location do allow project recovery when Jokosher starts up from a crash. Elleo has volunteered to take charge of this bug. https://bugs.launchpad.net/jokosher/+bug/76750

* Accurate levels with more efficient backend to save levels to disk. I have already committed this to SVN, and it is just waiting on a few bug fixes and integration with the audio fades. This also was designed to be easily extendable for multi channel audio waveforms in the future. I (laszlok) have taken responsibility for this fix. https://bugs.launchpad.net/jokosher/+bug/88335

* Change the obnoxious error dialog boxes to be passive yellow bars like in Gedit or Firefox. They will appear on the top of the recording view. david_corrales has offered to be in charge of this, although being a very visible feature it will no doubt benefit from everyone's help.

* Include a check when Jokosher launches to test if the sound card input is available and the sample rate works with it. If not we will use one of the new passive error messages to notify the user to change their settings. We may also extend the sample rate tester to allow the user to get a list of all their supported sample rates. I (laszlok) have already written a backend to detect this, but the GUI could easily become obtrusive. Everyone's input is needed for this one.

* It was decided that any project should be available as a template. When the template is loading, it is simply a copy of the project. Another meeting will decide the details of this feature and everyone will take part in implementing it as no one wants to take on the responsibility.

* david_corrales has volunteered to change the cancel loading icon on the events to match Firefox's stop downloading icon.

* pecisk has offered to be responsible for triaging and debugging the garbled audio and audio syncing bugs.

* I (laszlok) have accepted the challenge of fixing the broken mp3 playback with Gnonlin, probably with the help of smart Gstreamer dudes.

Time to get hacking!
Laszlo