Re: [jokosher-devel] Crash recovery dialog

2008/12/21 Laszlo Pandy <laszlok2 gmail com>:
> Hopefully everyone has tried out, or at least had a chance to see the
> crash recovery feature we put into 0.10. The feature automatically saves
> any open Jokosher projects every few minutes.
>
> My question is, is it best to prompt the user to restore any of the
> crashed projects? The other option is to not have a dialog at all but
> prompt for restore when the user opens that particular project. This is
> the way Word and OpenOffice work. They don't have a single place to keep
> track of all the recoverable files, but when you open a file it checks
> for filename~ or filename.bak and checks if it can be recovered.
>
> The reason I am putting this on the mailing list is because I require
> discussion on this issue. *Please respond* and at least tell me if have
> or will ever run multiple Jokosher instances at once, even if you don't
> have any other opinions. I would like to know if restoring multiple
> projects is a common use case, and would like to hear any other insights
> people have.

I think checking for crash recovery on a per project basis would be
better. Jokosher works in terms of projects. This has always been an
important concept (working with projects rather than working with
Jokosher), and trying to recover all crashed projects at once breaks
this model.

We already have a folder per project, so why not store recover info
there and only check for recovery when that project is opened? Even if
I ran multiple instances of Jokosher and had them all crash, I'd still
recover each project one at a time.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Jeff Ratliff (Gomer_X)