[jokosher-devel] Fwd: [Usability] Skipping Around Audio/Video in Gnome

Something from the usability list that might be interesting...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steven Garrity <stevelist silverorange com>
Date: Mar 2, 2007 12:42 AM
Subject: [Usability] Skipping Around Audio/Video in Gnome
To: usability gnome org

I was skipping through a podcast I downloaded (so easily) in Rhythmbox
today. I was using the arrow keys to skip through the audio, but it was
strange because I'm used to the way the arrow keys skip through
audio/video in Totem.

I can't quite figure out exactly what the left/right arrow behaviour is
in either Rhymthbox or Totem for skipping around a media, but it's
definitely different between the two.

Rhythmbox seems to jump in short intervals, and if you hold down the
arrow key, it does a slow/jerky (and noisy) fast-forward.

Totem seems to jump a minute ahead with an arrow key press, though it
appears to be jumping smaller intervals backwards with the left arrow
key. Holding down the arrow keys does a smooth, but silent fast-forward.

It would be nice to be able to learn the behaviour of skipping through
audio/video with the keyboard in *one* of these and have that experience
carry over to the other (and other apps, I didn't look at Banshee, or
Jokosher, or other Gnome-y media apps).

Steven Garrity
Usability mailing list
Usability gnome org

"Willow hath gat hare off rede
And doth geev soopurb heede.
Buffy, as written by Geoffrey Chaucer, the dirty mediaeval git."
          -- Andy Spencer, after Certic