[jokosher-devel] I'm back!

Hey guys - it's been ages since I've done anything other than keep an
eye on Jokosher, and I've decided that I should try and rectify that.

First, the latest edition is looking bloody brilliant. It's a really
great looking application, with some serious functionality.

Secondly, I'm thinking of maybe putting together some screencasts on how
to use Jokosher, using J to record the audio, of course. :)

Lastly, a quick test case that threw up a couple of questions for me:

Background: I wanted to take 2 pieces of audio, 1 which had lengthy
sections of quiet interspersed with brief sections of quiet audio, and
overlay a 2nd audio track, which would fade in and out as appropriate. I
have to say that this was as easy in Jokosher as in Audacity, and the
resultant output was better, as Jokosher more easily handles fades to
lower levels due to the waveform editing, whereas Audacity only has fade
to 0.

However, 1 or 2 issues that cropped up (mostly questions, rather than
bugs - feel free to point me to Trac if they're just bugs ;) )

1. Reduced sample 2 to 0 for last couple of seconds, playback caused
hang.

0:02:56.757746000 10418 0x81e8f90 ERROR        audioresample
resample_ref.c:118:resample_scale_ref: buffer_queue_pull returned NULL

Haven't tried reproducing this  - probably a known bug?

2. Sometimes the audio seems to just crackle out, or not play.
This is a weird one - there is a definite crackle at times, and then it
stops playing. But if you stop and restart, often it's OK.

3. Doesn't scroll when you select off screen.
When you're selecting bits of audio with the shift-drag, it should
really scroll to the left (or right) if you mouse out of the window.

4. Would be nice to be able to type numbers in effects window
Is this possible, given that the effects are based on LADSPA? It would
be nice to be able to, say, type 4.5, rather than having to slide.

5. Would be nice if you could amplify in the same way as you fade out -
perhaps get a line showing the top peak, and raise the whole clip.
Particularly for podcasters, it would be nice to use a similar system to
the fade in/fade out to be able to amplify. Is this within the scope of
J, or do we leave it to the effects?

6. Need to be able to apply an effect to a portion of music, not just a
whole instrument.
Again - is this possible? Or is there a 'workaround' to make it happen?
(ie split audio, copy to new instrument, apply effect?) In my example,
some of the audio on the first instrument was a lot quieter than on
other sections, and I would've liked to either use something like the
wave editor to amplify, or select a portion to apply the amplify effect
to.

7. Why shift-drag to select? Surely it would make more sense to drag to
select, and shift-drag to move the object file? Seem counter-intuitive
to me?

8. Is there some way of indicating that an effect has been applied to
some audio? Maybe a little icon that can be moused-over to indicate what
effects have been applied?

Sorry if some of this should have gone to the forums or onto Trac. Hope
it all makes sense :)

Cheers

mrben
--