Re: [jokosher-devel] Docs, Categories, Effects and Help!

On 1/2/07, Stuart Langridge <sil kryogenix org> wrote:
Agreed; it's a shame that LADSPA doesn't do this for us, but if we
have the top 50 or 80 or 100 effects categorized in a hard-coded list
and any others in "Other" then that'll be fine, I'd have thought.

The list for Ubuntu Edgy is 182 elements long. I've been trying them one by one, since some of them are broken and others need special info when loading. I used the term "Unclassified" since that's what they really are. The "Other" category I feel is analogous to the "Miscellaneous" one. As you said, some effects can fall in two or more categories, so we'll have to cope with that.

Agreed. I commented last night on IRC (no link to the discussion
because Elleo's list of IRC logs is down!) I'd like to see Save and
Load buttons next to Cancel etc so we can save a collection of effects
as a preset. I'd also like to see the effects, where possible, get
little "effect descriptions" next to their names, so you can get a
rough glance at what this collection of effects is without having to
double-click each one to get the settings for it. See
http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=effectsdialog9eg1je5.png for
a suspect mockup; we'd need to teach Jokosher how to create these
"summaries" for lots of plugins, and some of them (like the EQ one)
might be a little hard and graphical, but this sort of thing will make
it easy to see at a glance what a collection of effects does. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkline for a discussion of this sort
of small-size high-density information and how useful it is.

I played with some positioning last night for the load/save buttons but couldn't find a spot that felt... natural. Since it affects only the "Active Effects" window, I believe it shouldn't be near the 3 main buttons on the bottom.
About the summaries, I think they would be good for usability. But who's to say what a 50% delay means? First, the categories have to be definitive and then a metaphor for each one has to be thought of.

Can yelp help be installed in the home dir, or does it have to be systemwide?

You can launch yelp locally or system wide. There's check for an environment variable on startup, that determines the proper file to call.
The integration with the main directory (scrollkeeper) can only be done as root.

Cool. Discuss away :-)

I've been doing testing with the source package in several distros. So far I tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mandriva and Fedora, and made a list of all the packages required to get Jokosher running (still need to determine those packages needed for compiling cvs GStreamer).
My intention, if possible, is to create a big script that handles downloading and compiling the necessary bits on the n distros we consider "major" (excluding suse because it's a PITA). Something like "lsb_release -r -id" plus "cat /etc/release"  or "cat /etc/issue" could be used to obtain the system executing the script, and then adapt accordingly.
I haven't fiddled with creating an RPM using setuptools (which is possible), but I also wonder its quality. If it's something like "checkinstall" in Debian, then it's pretty much useless for wide deployment.
Any binary packages should take into account running scrollkeeper after installation for proper index registration. What kind of work have you so far, to see if there's anything conflicting or needing update?