Re: [jokosher-devel] Play/Pause discussion... the rebirth... once more

I'll second that.  It seems to me that making this act as most people would expect is a sensible.  As most devices and software behave like this conforming is a good thing.  I hate to mention the Gimp... but its not that hard to learn when you change it to what most people are used to like GimpShop did.  Most people I know find the Gimp impossible because it is so foreign to the way they are used to operating.

Anyway that is only IMHO.

David Corrales wrote:
Hey everyone. I just had a chat with someone who came into irc and told me, and I quote:

"I did take me three goes to figure out how to pause, not sure how intuitive that is
(maybe should have read the manual but learned Audacity without reading it)"

I think that pretty much sums it all up. In practically all the video/audio players embedded in browsers now, they use the play/pause button. Other players do it too and I find it to be the most intuitive way to use a double function button.
The whole point of using labels and icons for a button is indicating its behavior. The current way, it's not clear enough that the play button has a double function.
My suggestion is that we go ahead and change the label, icon and tooltip for the button when it is in the toggled state.