Re: [jokosher-devel] It had to happen sooner or later...

Chris Brown wrote:
<snip>

GPL (qv. I couldn't care less)
GPL v2 only
GPL v2 or later
GPL v3 only (hahaha..... okay I've stopped laughing now).
GPL v3 or later (crystal ball stuff)

"Let the games begin!" - Hedonismbot, Futurama

Cheers
Chris

I was looking at this recently because of the whole buzz around GPL v3. What I found is that each file in Jokosher says:
THIS FILE IS PART OF THE JOKOSHER PROJECT AND LICENSED UNDER THE GPL.
SEE THE 'COPYING' FILE FOR DETAILS.

Notice it doesn't specify the version, and the COPYING file contains a copy of GPL v2. However since we never explicitly said anywhere which version it is we now have the opportunity to define it.

I would like to make it "GPL v2 or later" just to avoid any GPLv3 incompatibilities. If anyone who has contributed code really objects to allowing "or later", then we will have to do "GPL v2" (but please don't object because I would really like GPLv3 compatibility).

Also remember that Jokosher is not under the vanilla GPL. We have a special exception for using Jokosher with non-free Gstreamer plugins. However in practice you can treat it as being GPL because: a) python doesn't really do linking, and I wouldn't call using a non-free Gstreamer plugin with Jokosher a 'derivative work'. b) the exception includes a clause saying that you have permission to redistribute Jokosher (modified or unmodified) without the exception.

Laszlo