[jokosher-devel] Good news - Jokosher latency/sync problem solved

Hi all,

Some of you may have experienced problems when recording with Jokosher
where the recorded audio was quite badly out of sync with what you
recorded against. So, as an example, you could import a song, and
record yourself singing along with it, but the singing would be a
half-second or so behind and out of time.

Well, today, with the help of Wim in #gstreamer the problem has been
identified. From what I can tell, whe you create a new instrument and
just arm it and record (and don't set the instrument connection), the
alsasrc uses device=default and uses the default input. If you do
this, you get these sync problems.

Now, if you create an instrument and properly set the input with the
Instrument Connections dialog, the recording is fine and in sync.
Evidently, device=default has some quirks, and Wim says that it
provides an incorrect clock, and hence the sync problems.

I tested recording, when setting the correct instrument connections,
and the latency was quite low, and this is on a laptop with shitty
onboard sound and no low latency kernel. This is great news! :)

When I get a moment I will look into writing a fix so that it doesn't
use device=default. :)

 Jono