Re: [jokosher-devel] Heading towards 1.0

Jono Bacon wrote:

I talked about this with some of you on IRC and the suggestion is that
we want to aim to get a final release included in Edgy+1, and this
deadline date should be around February. Now, we want to have a decent
release candidate process for 1.0 to get rid of bugs, so the suggested
approach is that we have 1.0RC for around the beginning of Feb, and
this release will certainly go into edgy+1. We can then have a month
or so of bugfixing before releasing 1.0 final.

I would prefer not to call it 1.0RC, unless that's what it really is. It all depends on how much time there is between when the so called "RC" comes out and when the actual "1.0" comes out. See my next point below.

This way, Edgy+1 gets a
release and we also get some good feedback and bugfixes.

Universe freeze (the freeze we care about) for Ubuntu is about one month before the actual release of Edgy+1. So if we are planning to get feedback from all the Jokosher users apt-getting it from Edgy+1, and 1.0 is released about a month after the RC, we will be getting a lot of bug reports and feedback *after* we have already released Jokosher 1.0.

I would rather call the release after 0.2, Jokosher 0.9 or Jokosher 1.0Beta, and then have more than one month between that and the actual 1.0, to allow for edgy to be released, etc. We probably shouldn't have any real features added between those two releases, but to make up for the extra time we could ship will some new cool extensions or and some little features that would risk breaking anything.

Laszlo