[jokosher-devel] Building a community docs site

Hi all,

One this that became abundantly clear when the awesome 0.1
documentation was finished, is that there is a bottleneck in terms of
getting the docs from the docs team onto the main website - that
bottleneck is me. The problem is that I can't restrict access to
certain pages on the main Jokosher website for the docs team easily.

There other problems with out current approach:

* We can't support user comments. If a user reads something in a
guide and wants to make a comment (like with the PHP documentation),
this cannot happen effectively.
* We can't easily support user contributed guides. Use contributed
guides would need to go through the doc team and then onto the main
site after they have been marked up via the doc team. Also, user
contributed guides would require hundreds of trac login accounts
setting up, and I would rather keep trac logins to core developers.

I would like to propose we have a seperate documentation website set
up that is specifically for Jokosher documentation. I would like to
see this site not just be a collection of HOWTOs, but become a real
portal with these kinds of features:

* Jokosher wiki where people can add notes, guides and best practices.
* Provide an indexable collection of guides, HOWTOs and more
* Provide case studies, examples, tutorials, interviews and other content

As such, the site becomes an 'information portal' about all kinds of
Jokosher related content.

So, the question is - does this make sense, and how do we make it
happen? It strikes me that a customised MediaWiki that fits in with
our current design would make the most sense, but I am keen to hear
everyones thoughts. Personally, I would suggest against a custom built
web app for it because if the developer of it goes away, we are stuck.
Also, are the docs team happy to take on this task?

 Jono