Re: [jokosher-devel] German translation and documentation stuff

On 12/07/06, Dennis Lichtenthäler <dennis lichtenthaeler episode-iv de> wrote:

Fellow Jokosher-Fanboys!
As promised on the LUGRadio forums, I got to work and started translating some
of the quite excellent Jokosher Documentation. The German versions of the FAQ,
the Intro/Walkthrough and the User Guide are already done and as of yesterday
have entered the wiki.
I am very impressed. These will be a good addition to the documentation.

While writing all this, I occasionally ran into a problem with finding
appropriate names for certain UI elements. While reading the User Guide, I
tried hard to figure out what the "Time Scale" (which now is called "Time
Line") was and was only successful after eliminating all the other elements...

This is mostly my fault. When writing the User Guide I had to make up
names for things I didn't know, then the mailing list died before I
could get confirmation. I actually have a screen shot with all the
parts labelled to go in the User Guide, but again with no mailing list
and no SVN access there's no way to make that available.

I agree some definition of non-obvious terms is necessary, but I'm not
sure how this is generally handled. I eventually settled on the term
"Time Line" versus "Time Scale" because that's what the programmers
call it.

When I get a full set of screenshots done, everything will be
labelled, so that might help.

As I said, it's probably too early to be thinking about all this but I think
it would make a lot of sense, especially when translating not only the
documentation but Jokosher itself somewhen.

Again thanks for the help. Any contribution you have on how
translation can be bettter handled is welcome

--
Jeff Ratliff (Gomer_X)