Re: [jokosher-devel] Ubuntu packager required

Hello CodeNexus,

On Di, 2006-08-08 at 23:23 +1200, CodeNexus wrote:
> Sorry but you misunderstand my point.  If I want to help out on a project
> that, granted is in development, I suddenly have to go to a completely
> unstable development version of the entire OS?  That, to me any, seems nuts!
> Especially when new Gstreamer versions have been releasing more up to date
> packages in other distros.

The problem is that new software mostly requires other new software
which you can expect in a stable release.

> Now I wasn't demanding, I was only pointing out that I went to the Gstreamer
> guys and said hey there is no deb for Ubuntu (note I didn't even say stable
> or not!).  They said (and I paraphrase here) "Oh, so there isn't!  If you or
> anyone else wants to help release one that would be great.  We don't know
> much about Ubuntu we are mainly Fedora people."

I'm happy you want to help Ubuntu out and I never thought you were
demanding. I wasn't angry or anything, I just tried to share my view. If
you have a look at the reply I just sent to Stuart's mail you'll see
what problem I have with *.deb packages on the net: they don't make
lives easier and they mostly don't fit for all Ubuntu distributions.
It's easier to fix things in the Ubuntu archive - and that's
unfortunately mostly in the development branch of it.

> I merely suggested that there maybe someone on this mailing list _or_
> someone they know that can do this, has time to do this and would want to do
> this.  I was just the messenger.  You know about not shooting the
> messenger??

I was never going to shoot you. Trust me. :-)

Have a nice day,
 Daniel