Re: GJS WebKit2 Extension

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 5:23 AM Andrea Giammarchi <andrea giammarchi gmail com> wrote:
FWIW I've used the location with a private channel as protocol to intercept calls to/from the page and GJS.

From the page, which is aware of the "secret" channel, I call GJS actions via location.href = "">

The protocol secret1234 is intercepted and the `controller.method(JSON.parse(decodeURIComponent(restOfURI)))` invoked.

To signal the page everything is fine I use this.webView.runJavaScript https://github.com/WebReflection/jsgtk-twitter/blob/master/app#L377

The page has a listener for the `secret1234` event on the main window, and such listener is instrumented to react accordingly with the CustomEvent .detail payload/info.

This might look a bit convoluted, and it has JSON serialization as limitation for the kind of data you want to pass (i.e. I use base64 encoded images as source from remotely fetched files enabling somehow CORS for whatever I want) but it worked well, circumventing the missing communication channel available in Qt.

Maybe today there are better ways for doing a similar thing and if that's the case, please share.

Here is another, fairly new, way to do it. Start out by registering a "script message handler":
http://devdocs.baznga.org/webkit240~4.0_api/webkit2.usercontentmanager#method-register_script_message_handler

To send a message to the page, use the same thing that Andrea uses:
http://devdocs.baznga.org/webkit240~4.0_api/webkit2.webview#method-run_javascript

To send a message from the page to the GJS program, use the postMessage() method mentioned in the documentation, and connect to this signal in your GJS program to receive the message:
http://devdocs.baznga.org/webkit240~4.0_api/webkit2.usercontentmanager#signal-script-message-received

Although I just realized that unfortunately the values won't be able to be marshalled into GJS since you need to use the _javascript_Core API to get at them. This is a really nice method in C, but in JS you can only use it to send a message without any content. That is annoying. I should probably open up an issue about this.