How to obtain OS and HW info?

Dear all,
  I wonder if there's any better way than spawning command line "queries" to obtain some HW info, like those shown in GNOME Details.

As example, I'm replicating node.js `os` module in here:
https://github.com/WebReflection/jsgtk/blob/master/jsgtk_modules/os.js

but I couldn't find a GLib or GJS way to retrieve basic info such `uname -a` so I have to manually parse some output out of commands that are surely not portable cross platform (e.g. OSX has no `/proc/cpuinfo` or `/proc/loadavg` or `uptime -s` command )

Thanks in advance for any sort of hint/link/idea.

Best Regards