Re: Installing new GJS modules

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Giovanni Campagna <scampa giovanni gmail com> wrote:
2013/8/29 Philip Chimento <philip chimento gmail com>:
> Dear list,
>
> If I am writing a pure _javascript_ module in GJS, and wish to distribute it
> in an Autotools package, where should I install it? Putting it directly into
> $(datadir)/gjs-1.0 works, but seems untidy. What is the polite way to
> install a GJS module and update GJS_PATH?

Is this for an application, or a general purpose module?
In the former case, the right place is $(pkgdatadir), in the latter
case, just don't do it.
We don't have the infrastructure right now to handle external packages
that are shared between applications, and it's a lot simpler if each
app ships their own bundled module.

Hi Giovanni,

Is there any proposal for this infrastructure, perhaps I could help refine it or give some comments? I really think it would be useful to be able to port some JS-specific, non-GObject-introspected modules to GJS: e.g. replacements for the jsUnit.js and promise.js that ship with GJS which are both kind of outdated.

Best regards,
--
Philip