Re: [HIG] Toolbar too wide - what to do

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 11:10, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> I am the Debian Package Maintainer of gnometab, a GNOME2 application for
> editing Guitar Tabs. The following Bug report was filed by one of the
> users:
> >
> > gnometab opens up with a very wide screen on this system, it looks
> > like the toolbar is forcing the window to be very wide. It's
> > impossible to use in this configuration.

I haven't seen gnometab (although I nearly downloaded it the other day--
wish I had now!).  But it sounds to me like it probably just has too
many toolbar buttons in its default configuration.  I don't really know
what you can do about that except file a bug against gnometab to
recommend a more reasonable default configuration.

> > I was setup to have "Text beside Icons". I set it to "Only Icons", and
> > it was better - gnometab was still way too big, but I could resize the
> > window to something sensible. So, that appears to be the problem.
> >
> > It seems you can override this sometimes - when I set back to "Text
> > beside Icons", my editing controls (bold, italic, underline, etc.) in
> > my Evolution mail editing window suddenly had text as well, and the same
> > width problem happened!

That's strange, doesn't happen for me (on Solaris), and I don't
understand why Evolution (a GNOME 1.x app) would be listening to GNOME
2.x configuration information anyway, unless it has some special smarts
to do so.  Either way, sounds like a bug against Evolution if it's not
happening consistently (or if it shouldn't be happening at all).

Cheeri,
Calum.